- Provide the right information on disability to the right people at the right time to facilitate a positive action
- Set a national agenda for participation of persons with disability in nation building
Information is a powerful tool. It can lead to self-advocacy and empowerment, if used intelligently. This is what we firmly believe in at Disability News and Information Service (DNIS) - a fortnightly news service on the Indian disability sector.
Disabled people account for a whopping 6 percent of India's total population. Deprived of basic rights, they are often ignored when our country planners look into new changes in critical sectors like health, education, transport and commerce.
For far too long, disability in India has been viewed as a thing of charity rather than as a human rights issue. Although as a cultural trait charity may seem well meaning, it creates a dependency syndrome - humiliating indeed for an individual's self esteem.
DNIS aims to empower persons with disabilities by making them, their family members and the society at large aware of their rights.
With disability rapidly emerging as a rights movement in the country, DNIS aims to set a national agenda for the policy makers, by disseminating information and creating awareness about the rights of disabled people.
Our aim is to mobilise NGOs, politicians, media, parents, disabled people, educationists, lawyers, architects, designers, town planners, and other civic bodies to create a disabled-friendly and barrier-free society.
We urge your participation by bringing important issues to our attention, by disseminating information you receive from us and by guiding our initiatives through your valuable suggestions.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: