DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by:
Volume 2 Issue 9May 01, 2004
- On the election trail
Javed Abidi, the Disability Rights Group convener, has chosen to represent the cause of disabled people by standing as an independent candidate for the 2004 Lok Sabha election constituency of New Delhi.
- Rites of passage in India
Dr Raymond Langis an independent disability consultant, specialising in the field of disability and development.
- Protest outside EC office; several activists detained
Several activists from Disabled Rights Group (DRG) were detained while protesting outside the Election Commission office on April 15. The activists were demanding Braille script for EVMs and ramps to provide entry into the polling booths.
- PIL requests Chief Justice to intervene in the access order
A letter written by the Disabled Rights Group (DRG) to the Chief Justice of India, V.N. Khare, recommending that election procedures be made disabled friendly, is being treated as a Public Interest Litigation (PIL). It will come up for hearing in the Court of the Chief Justice on April 16 2004.
- Javed Abidi files nomination to stand as an independent candidate
Javed Abidi, a well-known disabled rights activist, filed his nomination from the New Delhi Lok Sabha constituency as an Independent candidate.
- CJI takes up access issue
On April 16 a three-judge Bench comprising the Chief Justice of India V.N. Khare, Justices S.B. Sinha and S.H. Kapadia issued notices to the Election Commission and the Central Government on a petition filed by the Disabled Rights Group (DRG).
- SC orders ramps for polling booths in cities
On April 19, the Supreme Court ordered the State governments to provide wooden ramps as far as possible in all polling booths across the country for the second phase of elections, and without fail in the last two phases on May 5 and May 10.
- Disabled celebrate verdict on ramps
Over a hundred disabled people gathered at India Gate to celebrate the Supreme courts directive to all State governments to provide facilities to enable disabled people to exercise their right to vote.
- Incidence of disability declining says NSSO survey
The National Sample Survey released a report saying that the incidence of disability in India is declining. It gives reason for cheer with the overall decline in disability, but there is also a reason for concern about rural areas where the incidence of disability has been found to be higher than in urban areas.
- Sponsored worldwide bikers raise funds for ORBIS in Delhi
Two bikers were in Delhi recently after travelling almost halfway around the globe on motorcycles. Simon and Suzi Harby are globetrotting to highlight the work done by ORBIS International, engaged in its mission of "Saving Sight Worldwide."
- Shortage of teachers for disabled people
In India, there are 3.5 crore disabled children, of which only 2 per cent have access to education.
- Disabled teenager conquers North Pole
A 15-year-old disabled Polish boy has become the youngest teenager to walk unaided to the North Pole on April 21.