Volume 8 Issue 6 - March 15, 2011
“The chapters on Legal Capacity and Authorities need to be rewritten,” General Ian Cardozo
The Authorities chapter in the Working Draft of the proposed new disability law envisages the setting up of a Disability Rights Authority. However, this chapter has been shred to pieces by the larger disability sector. Also, the Working Draft fails to settle the issue of one comprehensive disability law covering all the rights of all people with disabilities which should also include the National Trust and the Rehabilitation Council of India (R.C.I.); and the issue of Legal Capacity. Dorodi Sharma of D.N.I.S. caught up with Chairperson, R.C.I., General Ian Cardozo to get his views on these issues.
General Ian Cardozo
D.N.I.S.: What are your thoughts on the Working Draft of the proposed Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act? Please give a few positives and negatives (if any).
General Ian Cardozo: The two most important chapters i.e. Legal Capacity and Authorities need to be rewritten. They are not acceptable in their present state.
D.N.I.S.: What is your feedback on the State Consultations on the Working Draft and the complaints that have been pouring in from different States? Where do you think things went wrong?
General Ian Cardozo: The time for deliberations was less. The Dehradun group continued to work after the Consultation and submitted the report late.
D.N.I.S.: Are you in favour of one comprehensive disability rights law which will also include the National Trust Act, the R.C.I. Act and rights of people living with mental illness? If yes/no, please give reason.
General Ian Cardozo: The advantage of one law is 'convenience'. Either way, it needs to be comprehensive. In my view this is tied up with the way in which the chapter on 'Authorities’ takes shape.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “Of course, I support full Legal Capacity,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The chapters on Legal Capacity and Authorities need to be rewritten,” General Ian Cardozo
- Working Draft of proposed new disability law comes under fire; a cut paste job says the sector
- Legal Capacity: Health Ministry and M.S.J.E. come out with two diametrically opposite positions
- Significant increase in the number of disabled students taking board exams but is it a premature celebration?
- Disabled people boycott Tamil Nadu Consultation; deliberations hijacked by parents and professionals
- Abidi writes to P.M., expresses disappointment over Union Budget
- ‘Disability Act should include elderly’
- Delhi High Court directs A.I.I.M.S. to call disabled doctor for counselling
- Javed Abidi invited to attend C.R.P.D. Committee’s meeting in Geneva
- Accessible passenger ramps: Innovation of IndiGo Airlines
- Heritage monuments to become disabled-friendly!
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: