Volume 1 Issue 1 - December 25, 2011
Disabled students to get 3 per cent reservation in medical schoolsDNIS News Network - Three per cent quota will be made available to disabled students pursuing medicine in Delhi University.
It has come as a directive from Delhi High Court to Delhi University to reserve minimum three percent seats for disabled students seeking admission to any medical college or institute, said an August 13, 2003 report in The Pioneer newspaper.
According to the report, Justice Vikramjit Sen, in his order on August 12, 2003, told Delhi University authorities to uphold the provision, as stated in “The Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995”, with regard to reservation of seats for medical courses.
He mentioned Section 39 of the Act that states: “All government education institutions and other educational institutions, receiving aid from the government, shall reserve not less than three percent of the seats for persons with disabilities.”
It is believed that the court was hearing petitions filed by three physically disabled students against Delhi University’s decision to extend reservation only to one percent.
Justice Sen, in his order, said that Delhi University’s current policy is a palpable violation of the statutory imperative in the Act, the newspaper reported. The court is believed to have issued clear directions for distribution of reservation among various categories of disability.
As per the present guidelines, Medical Council of India (MCI) maintains that out of three categories of disability, people with visual and hearing impairment “cannot effectively assimilate or imbibe medical teaching.”
Refuting the contentions of MCI, the court said that Section 39 does not envisage any internal bifurcation. It simply provides not less than three percent reservation, irrespective of the nature of disability, the report said.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Delhi to become barrier free by 2008
- NCPEDP bags Samsung DigitAll Hope award
- 43 students get scholarship for higher education
- Disabled students to get 3 per cent reservation in medical schools
- Cars get cheaper for disabled owners
- Heritage monuments to become disabled friendly
- Centre sets up National Commission for Disabled Persons
- Karnataka to formulate disability policy
- Multiple disabled people can avail double I-T deduction
- Project to address disability rights
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: