Volume 1 Issue 1 - December 25, 2011
Karnataka to formulate disability policyDNIS News Network Government of Karnataka has announced that very soon, it will frame a policy for the states disabled population. So far, no state in India has any specific policy for disabled people.
The office of the Disabilities Commissioner is in the process of formulating a draft framework of the policy, D Thangaraj, Secretary, Women and Child Welfare was reported as saying in The Hindu.
It is understood that the state coordination committee, set up under The People with Disabilities Act, 1995, will serve as the focal point on disability matters and aid in evolving a policy for disabled people of the state.
According to the newspaper report, the draft recommends intervention, which should focus on prevention and early detection. The health department should play an active role in determining and identifying disabled people for prevention services and treatment.
It also recommends ensuring a barrier-free environment in public places, educational institutions and government buildings.
Recommendations have also been made for reservation of three percent seats in all government and aided educational institutions.
Other recommendations include provision of aids and appliances for rehabilitation services at district level; registration of all institutions dealing with disabilities to ensure transparency and quality services; provision to encourage research and manpower development in the field of prevention, rehabilitation and development of assistive devices for disabled people; establishment of institutions for care of people with severe disabilities; and availability of free education till the age of 18, says the report.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Delhi to become barrier free by 2008
- NCPEDP bags Samsung DigitAll Hope award
- 43 students get scholarship for higher education
- Disabled students to get 3 per cent reservation in medical schools
- Cars get cheaper for disabled owners
- Heritage monuments to become disabled friendly
- Centre sets up National Commission for Disabled Persons
- Karnataka to formulate disability policy
- Multiple disabled people can avail double I-T deduction
- Project to address disability rights
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: