Volume 3 Issue 1 - January 01, 2005
Disabled friendly Shell outlet in Bangalore
DNIS News Network - Shell inaugurates a disabled-friendly petrol pump in Bangalore.
Petrol pumps now serve more purpose than one! They have convenience stores, public toilets and even ATMs for people who are on the move. When one is travelling long distances, these petrol pumps are used as places for taking a small break -- to pick up things to eat; to relieve oneselves; to withdraw money, etc. But, for persons with disability, these places, like many other places, do not serve any purpose, for the simple reason that they are not constructed in a disabled-friendly manner! There are also increasing numbers of disabled drivers who need to access petrol pumps on a daily basis. However, their needs are seldom taken into account.
Therefore, Shells first petrol outlet in Bangalore, which was inaugurated recently, comes as a breath of fresh air. It has been designed and built in a disabled-friendly manner. When you enter it, you are received by a disabled person their Fore Court Supervisor, who welcomes you and directs you to the right place for filling petrol/diesel. The departmental store has a sliding ramp; the washrooms have wide doors, with enough room space and grab bars, etc; there is easy entry to all places within the premises, including store rooms. The cash counter is also managed by a person with disability, who sits on a chair specially designed for her.
Shell has a policy for sustainable development, which includes disability. It has plans to set up many more petrol pumps in the country. Shell, being a private company, has taken a lead in creating barrier-free petrol pumps, which will put the larger public sector oil companies to shame, who, in spite of the law (which was passed nine years ago), have done very little to create a barrier-free environment in their service outlets.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Tsunami disability relief fund set up
- Founder President of DPI- India passes away unsung
- Two posts reserved for disabled people in the Indian Administrative Service
- Ramps in Mumbai High Court
- A decade on, IEDC resting on enrolment laurels
- Helpline for mentally disabled people
- Still in a quest for justice
- Disabled friendly Shell outlet in Bangalore
- Round Table on employing disabled people in BPO industry
- Book on unsung heroes released in Bangalore
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: