Volume 4 Issue 1 - January 01, 2006
W.D.D. celeberations by N.D.N. partners in Jharkhand, Sikkim & Goa
D.N.I.S. News Network- Thousands of people from across the country participated in the World Disability Day (W.D.D.) celebrations on 3 December 2005. The year held a very special significance in India as it was the 10th year of passing of The Disability Act, 1995. The disability sector celebrated the Day with the common theme of “The tenth year of the Disability Act – It’s time for ACT10N”.
We had reported on the observance of W.D.D. -- in the 15 December issue of D.N.I.S. -- by National Disability Network (N.D.N.) partners. We now bring you reports on activities organised by partners in Jharkhand, Sikkim and Goa.
Deepshikha, an N.D.N. partner in district Ranchi (Jharkhand), celebrated W.D.D. by organising a weeklong programme called “Aahwan”. The objective of the programme was to spread awareness regarding the provisions of the Disability Act, 1995, and its non-implementation.
A ‘Walk to Freedom’ was organized which culminated at the Governor House. The document on 10 demands was presented to the Governor Syed Sibte Razi. A number of like-minded NGOs and disabled persons participated in the walk.
During the weeklong celebration, Solidarity Booths were put up, aimed at creating awareness and solidarity for disabled people among the masses. At the same time, painting competitions, outings and cultural programmes were also rganized.
The Spastic Society of Sikkim, N.D.N. partner from Sikkim, celebrated the event in collaboration with Sikkim Viklang Sahayata Samiti, National Association for Blind of Sikkim and the State Department of Social Justice, Empowerment and Welfare. Governor V. Rama Rao and Additional Chief Secretary, Planning Department, graced the occasion. The Governor emphasised on promotion of barrier-free environment and creation of awareness with regard to rights of disable people. Banners with the theme of barrier-free India were displayed at the venue.
The Goa Disability Network, in association with the Directorate of Social Welfare, celebrated W.D.D. at the Municipal Gardens with a variety entertainment programme, in Panaji. The Minister for Social Welfare, Subhash Shrodkar, was the Chief Guest. He called upon the NGOs for active participation in advocacy activities.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Poonam Natarajan appointed National Trust Chairperson
- National Disability Policy approved by Union Cabinet
- W.D.D. celeberations by N.D.N. partners in Jharkhand, Sikkim & Goa
- Heart patients not entitled to benefits under Disabilities Act: HC
- Disaster Management Bill passed sans disability component
- Air Deccan to charge additional Rs. 500 from passengers using wheelchair
- Deaf Cricket Association demands affiliation with B.C.C.I.
- Neglect & stigma causing exclusion of children with disabilities: UNICEF
- Dementia likely to double every 20 years world-wide, developing countries to be worst hit
- Sharon, the world’s best blind golfer
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: