Volume 6 Issue 1 - June 15, 2009
N.C.P.E.D.P. puts in suggestions for Union and Rail Budget 2009
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: N.C.P.E.D.P. has written to the Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee, and the Railways Minister, Mamata Banerjee, with a list of suggestions for the government to bear in mind while deciding the Union Budget as well as the Railways Budget this year.
“The 11th five year plan (2007-12) addresses disability as a cross cutting issue and seeks every ministry to have a plan for disability and to allocate at least three percent of the budget towards the same. However, the implementation of these laws and policies has been extremely tardy,” said Javed Abidi, Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.).
“Disability should be specifically mentioned in the Budget Speech, not as a charity or welfare issue but as a cross cutting, development, human resource and a human rights issue,” he added.
Another demand was that each concerned Ministry or Department should reserve not less than 3% of their annual outlay for the benefit of disabled persons as enjoined in The Disability Act, 1995 and as clearly stated in the XI Five Year Plan. The disability budget and its utilisation should be presented in the Annual Reports of the Ministries.
“The Government should also take a re-look at the Incentive Scheme for Employers proposed in the previous budget that was to provide jobs to 100,000 disabled people,” added Abidi.
Demands also included the setting up of a National Centre to facilitate and support the development of Universal Design and barrier-free built environment, a Sign Language Research and Training Centre devoted to the development and promotion of sign language and training of teachers and interpreters and a National Captioning Centre to provide sub-titling and captioning services.
As far as the Railway Budget is concerned, the suggestions included making stations disabled friendly, allocating appropriate seats in coaches at the time of booking and following the universal design concept in the special coaches meant for people with disability.
“The design of all coaches should follow the universal design concept and should be accessible for all. There should be a clear plan to design coaches which are inclusive, so that disabled people can travel with dignity and comfort in whichever class or compartment that they wish to, from say a general category bogey to a Ist AC Coach,” said Abidi.
The letter also called for making disability concessions available on all trains, besides making the website of the Railways disabled friendly.
Javed Abidi also met senior officials at the P.M.O. regarding the suggestions, who had assured him that they will look into the suggestions.
These suggestions were made after a wide consultation with groups working in the disability sector and across disabilities.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India’s first visually impaired I.A.S. officer
- Visually impaired person takes charge as judge
- Prime Time News on Doordarshan to be sub-titled for deaf people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. puts in suggestions for Union and Rail Budget 2009
- Railways to recruit disabled people
- 1500 disabled friendly railway stations soon
- Mumbai to have beepers at traffic crossings
- Applications of disabled students to Delhi University on a 5 year high, but 1000 seats will still go
- Special Bus for disabled students in Delhi University
- No teacher for 10,000 disabled children in the capital
- Disabled people more vulnerable to H.I.V. /A.I.D.S. says W.H.O.
- The ‘Train’ of Thoughts
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: