Volume 6 Issue 1 - June 15, 2009
1500 disabled friendly railway stations soon
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Indian railways is planning to make 1500 stations disabled friendly, senior officials of the Railway Ministry said. Railways have nearly 7000 stations in 16 zones.
Special facilities like access ramps, reserved parking lots, low height water taps and toilets for disabled people will be developed in phases at important stations.
“The decision in this regard has been taken by the Railway Board. We have earmarked 1560 stations for the purpose and the work at all these B category stations - most of them in State capitals and important cities and will be completed by 2010,”said a senior official.
Non slippery side walks and special signage for the visually impaired will also be put up at the stations. ‘May I help you booths' will be put up especially to guide and assist them in need, the official added.
A1 and A category stations like Delhi, Mumbai, Howrah, Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad, besides busy junctions already have these facilities.
There has been a long standing demand from disabled groups to include their needs in the Railway Budget. In fact, N.C.P.E.D.P. had written to the Railways Minister to incorporate a few suggestions to benefit people with disabilities. These included special coaches for disabled people in certain trains, allocating appropriate seats in coaches at the time of booking, concessions for disabled people in super fast trains like Rajdhani, besides making the stations disabled friendly.
Hopefully, this step is one among many that will follow.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India’s first visually impaired I.A.S. officer
- Visually impaired person takes charge as judge
- Prime Time News on Doordarshan to be sub-titled for deaf people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. puts in suggestions for Union and Rail Budget 2009
- Railways to recruit disabled people
- 1500 disabled friendly railway stations soon
- Mumbai to have beepers at traffic crossings
- Applications of disabled students to Delhi University on a 5 year high, but 1000 seats will still go
- Special Bus for disabled students in Delhi University
- No teacher for 10,000 disabled children in the capital
- Disabled people more vulnerable to H.I.V. /A.I.D.S. says W.H.O.
- The ‘Train’ of Thoughts
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: