Volume 7 Issue 1 - January 01, 2010
Centre does a U-turn. Deaf persons cannot drive!
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Centre is considering slamming the brakes on deaf persons getting behind the wheel by hinting on the preposterous idea that accident rate could go up if hearing impaired persons were given licenses. Poor traffic etiquette and the country’s frightening accident rate seem to be the basis of this bias against them.
This is a complete U-turn from the government’s initial response two months back. Then, it had given out affirmative vibes that it was “considering” allowing hearing impaired people in India to drive.
National Association of the Deaf (N.A.D.) had filed a public interest petition on this matter in the Delhi High Court. The case is still underway.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Cabinet approves bill to amend Right to Education Act
- Copyright Act to be amended
- User Interface is the theme for Techshare 2010
- Access not legally binding, feels Urban Development Joint Secretary!
- Sports scheme for disabled people to be implemented only in ‘special schools’!
- Centre does a U-turn. Deaf persons cannot drive!
- U.S. issues positive statement at W.I.P.O.
- North Zone Consultation on New Disability Act in January
- U.K. Foreign Secretary cites N.C.P.E.D.P. Project
- U.G.C. to fill up posts reserved for disabled people by the end of financial year
- Kendriya Vidyalayas to recruit special education teachers
- Rights group observes International Fortnight against Violence on Women
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: