Volume 8 Issue 1 - January 01, 2011
D.R.G. members protest outside Wasnik’s residence
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Even as most of our countrymen welcomed the New Year with parties and get-togethers, disability rights activists, persons with disabilities and other well-wishers from the disability sector braved the cold and held a candle light vigil outside Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, Mukul Wasnik’s residence in New Delhi.
Candle light vigil outside Mukul Wasnik's residence on Dec 31, 2010
Members of the Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) protested against the failure of the New Law Committee to come out with a new and comprehensive disability rights legislation to replace the existing Persons with Disabilities Act of 1995.
“The Committee has still not been able to complete the task assigned to it eight months ago. Now, they are asking for one more extension, until March 31, 2011. The disability sector demands that there should be no more extensions given and a new panel be formed by the Ministry,” explained D.R.G. Convenor, Javed Abidi.
The 27 member committee – consisting of parents, professionals and bureaucrats – was given four months to submit a draft law by August 31, 2010, but it missed the deadline and asked for an extension till the end of October. After missing this deadline, the panel asked for another extension and pushed the matter until December end. However, the Committee has not been able to complete the task even then and has asked for one more extension until March 31, 2011.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “Certain vested interests are spreading the rumour that I am demanding abolition of the National Trust,” Javed Abidi
- D.R.G. members protest outside Wasnik’s residence
- Consultation on U.N.C.R.P.D., draft Mental Health Care Act and the draft new Disability Act held
- Another glaring episode of blatant discrimination in the Civil Services
- M.S.J.E. embarrassed on employment data once again!
- India strikes Gold in Para Asian Games
- P.C.I. holidays at Guangzhou
- Paralympic athlete left stranded at Delhi airport
- Awareness about Disability Law dismal
- R.T.E. impact: Rajasthan sets up resource centres for disabled children
- Army dedicates 2011 to its disabled personnel
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: