Volume 9 Issue 1 - March 15, 2012
Department on Disability Affairs announced!
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The 11th Five Year Plan is ending on a high note for the disability sector! In her address to the Parliament at the beginning of the Budget Session, Her Excellency, the President of India announced the setting up of a separate Department of Disability Affairs. This will mean upgrading the current ‘Disability Division’ of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) to the status of a full-fledged Department.
This announcement comes close on the heels of a letter written by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) to the Hon’ble Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh on March 2, 2012, urging for a formal announcement to be made on the setting up of a separate Department of Disability Affairs. This letter followed an earlier one written to the Prime Minister in August 2011 on the same issue, which has led to this demand of the disability sector finally materialising.
The Department of Disability Affairs is proposed to be set up for greater focus on addressing issues confronting persons with disabilities. Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) has termed it a dream come true and huge feather in the cap of D.R.G., which has been persistently advocating for this for the last several years.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “The entire system has to be overhauled,” G. Syamala
- “The proposal in the Amendment to the R.T.E. Act will certainly take us a few steps backwards,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The option for home-based education should not be there in the law,” Radhika Alkazi
- Department on Disability Affairs announced!
- D.R.G. writes to M.S.J.E. and M.H.R.D. against home-based education
- D.R.G. condemns the non-serious attitude of Ministry of Civil Aviation
- Passengers with disabilities branded as a ‘threat’ to airport security
- People’s Budget Initiative includes a chapter on disability
- Push to include disability in the post-M.D.G. agenda
- Government has no plans to stop drug trials on persons living with mental illness
- Railway Budget a big disappointment for the disability sector
- P.I.L. filed in Bombay High Court to make rail travel easier for persons with disabilities
- N.A.D. celebrates International Women’s Day
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: