Volume 9 Issue 1 - March 15, 2012
Railway Budget a big disappointment for the disability sector
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Railway Budget 2012-13, which was announced on March 14, 2012, proved to be a big disappointment for the disability sector. The announcement by the Railway Minister to make provisions for increasing the disabled-friendly coaches in trains met with a cold response from the disability sector.
Creating special coaches only leads to further isolation of passengers with disabilities. Besides, the management of the special coaches is dismal. And even for the introduction of the special coaches, no time frame has been set.
There were many demands that the disability sector was hoping would be met in order to make rail travel easier for them. But demands such as extension of e-booking facility to persons with disabilities, filling up of backlog vacancies under the quota for persons with disabilities etc. have not been fulfilled. It is also disappointing that the Minister has not conceded to the demand to extend concessions for people with disabilities in local trains.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “The entire system has to be overhauled,” G. Syamala
- “The proposal in the Amendment to the R.T.E. Act will certainly take us a few steps backwards,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The option for home-based education should not be there in the law,” Radhika Alkazi
- Department on Disability Affairs announced!
- D.R.G. writes to M.S.J.E. and M.H.R.D. against home-based education
- D.R.G. condemns the non-serious attitude of Ministry of Civil Aviation
- Passengers with disabilities branded as a ‘threat’ to airport security
- People’s Budget Initiative includes a chapter on disability
- Push to include disability in the post-M.D.G. agenda
- Government has no plans to stop drug trials on persons living with mental illness
- Railway Budget a big disappointment for the disability sector
- P.I.L. filed in Bombay High Court to make rail travel easier for persons with disabilities
- N.A.D. celebrates International Women’s Day
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: