Volume 9 Issue 1 - March 15, 2012
N.A.D. celebrates International Women’s Day
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: National Association of the Deaf (N.A.D.) held a seminar to celebrate International Women’s Day this year on March 11, 2012. C.P.I.(M.) leader Brinda Karat was the Chief Guest and Anita Agnihotri, Member Secretary, National Commission for Women (N.C.W.) was the Guest of Honour. The seminar was attended by over 170 deaf women. Geeta Sharma, Women Secretary, N.A.D. welcomed everyone and spoke on the work done by N.A.D. in creating awareness regarding issues related to the deaf community.
Brinda Karat insisted that N.A.D. should do more work to create awareness around issues of assault of deaf women, such as the recent rape of a deaf woman in Bankura, West Bengal. She asserted that all associations must speak the same language, only then will the Government pay heed to them. She offered to help N.A.D. in addressing their concern over the lack of implementation of the Delhi High Court’s order regarding creations of posts for Indian Sign Language interpreters.
Anita Agnihotri spoke on legal assistance for women and the work done by National Commission for Women on this issue. She talked about different women-centric laws such as the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act and the Dowry Prohibition Act. She called for greater communication between N.A.D. and N.C.W. on cases of abuse at the local level so that N.C.W. can work on their redressal.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “The entire system has to be overhauled,” G. Syamala
- “The proposal in the Amendment to the R.T.E. Act will certainly take us a few steps backwards,” Poonam Natarajan
- “The option for home-based education should not be there in the law,” Radhika Alkazi
- Department on Disability Affairs announced!
- D.R.G. writes to M.S.J.E. and M.H.R.D. against home-based education
- D.R.G. condemns the non-serious attitude of Ministry of Civil Aviation
- Passengers with disabilities branded as a ‘threat’ to airport security
- People’s Budget Initiative includes a chapter on disability
- Push to include disability in the post-M.D.G. agenda
- Government has no plans to stop drug trials on persons living with mental illness
- Railway Budget a big disappointment for the disability sector
- P.I.L. filed in Bombay High Court to make rail travel easier for persons with disabilities
- N.A.D. celebrates International Women’s Day
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: