Volume 2 Issue 10 - May 15, 2004
Delhi authorities claim to ramp up access issue
DNIS News Network -- Following the Supreme Court directive on April 19, Delhi's civic authorities are claiming to be on full alert to ensure ramps are provided at polling stations across the state capital.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi is reported to be building a total of 8,689 ramps, which should ensure that more than 90% of the city's polling booths are accessible by physically challenged voters.
The estimated cost of the ramps at about Rs 20-25 lakh is a small price to pay to ensure true democracy is available to all, but it is money that would not have been made available without the directive given in court.
However, it is not deemed possible to install ramps at all polling stations. Officials say certain areas, such as the walled city with its narrow alleys, offer no scope for improved access.
Despite this, the attitude certainly seems to be more positive than previously: "We now hope that physically challenged people will come out in large numbers to exercise their franchise," commented one official.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- IAS winner awaits his job
- Disability highlighted in education survey
- Scholarship scheme goes from strength to strength
- Independents launch joint campaign for good governance
- Delhi University makes disabled students undergo medical examination
- Delhi authorities claim to ramp up access issue
- Election Commission fails to fulfil SC order
- World Thalassaemia Day observed
- Bus shelters designed with the disabled in mind
- Voters choose to play safe with big parties
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: