Volume 6 Issue 10 - November 01, 2009
Efforts to connect disability certificate to Unique Identification Number
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: D.N.I.S. had reported in August that N.C.P.E.D.P. got in touch with Nandan Nilekani, Chairperson, Unique Identification Authority of India (U.I.D.A.I.) on the possibility of connecting the issue of disability certificates with the Unique Identification Number. In a pleasant surprise, Nilekani called up Javed Abidi, Honorary Director, N.C.P.E.D.P. recently and sent his emissary Deepika Mogilishetty to discuss this possibility further.
Although, Nilekani has clarified that U.I.D.A.I. will only be issuing a number and not a card, Abidi is of the view that if a synergy could be developed between the enumeration process under Census 2011, the Unique Identification Number project and disability certificates, millions of disabled people could be benefited.
U.I.D.A.I. endeavours to identify each and every resident of India. This includes all the invisible population who till now do not have any access to ration cards, driving licenses, passports, Voter I.D. cards, etc. This includes migratory population, vulnerable groups, etc.
N.C.P.E.D.P. has also advocated for the inclusion of a question on disability during the Unique Identification Number enumeration process.
How dismal the efforts of the government have been towards people with disabilities can be easily gauged from the fact that even 63 years after Independence, not even 10 percent of disabled people have a disability certificate! That is because getting one is near impossible. A disabled person has to run around some government/district hospital 3 to 5 times to meet a panel of doctors to get the certificate. And the waiting period is anywhere between 3 to 6 months!
Mogilishetty was hopeful that a joint meeting at the Planning Commission with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment could help streamline all the 3 major issues: enumeration of disabled people during Census 2011, issuance of the Unique Identification Number to them and in turn, the issuance of a disability certificate as well.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- The ‘C.A.T.’ is belled!
- 4th Meeting of N.C.R.P.D. – India held
- Minister promises amendments to N.R.E.G.A.
- U.G.C. directs Universities to implement Disability Act 1995
- Efforts to connect disability certificate to Unique Identification Number
- Badhte Kadam: A National Trust Initiative
- National Conference on I.C.T.s for people with disabilities
- N.C.P.E.D.P. releases 5 baseline reports
- Government’s commitments to disabled people largely unfulfilled: World Bank
- Corruption mars tricycle P.C.O. scheme for disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: