Volume 7 Issue 10 - May 15, 2010
M.S.J.E. finally concedes to D.R.G.’s demand for a new law!
North Zone Consultation in New Delhi on January 29 and 30
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: It took eight months of perseverant advocacy, but finally the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) has conceded to the demand for a brand new law on disability. M.S.J.E. has formed a Committee to draft the new law which will “replace” the Disability Act of 1995. Dr. (Mrs.) Sudha Kaul, Vice Chairperson, Indian Institute of Cerebral Palsy, Kolkata has been asked to spearhead this Committee.
East Zone Consultation in Guwahati on February 20
The idea for a brand new law emerged at the third meeting of the National Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (N.C.R.P.D.) – India in July 2009. It was endorsed by the Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.).
A delegation led by D.R.G. Convenor, Javed Abidi met Mukul Wasnik twice on this issue, on August 29, 2009, and then again on February 9 to impress upon him the importance of going in for a new law instead of amending the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
South Zone Consultation in Chennai on April 16 and 17
West Zone Consultation in Mumbai on April 24 and 25
While M.S.J.E. took its own time to arrive at a decision, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) along with D.R.G. organised a National Consultation in New Delhi on October 29 last year, and four Zonal Consultations in New Delhi, Guwahati, Chennai and Mumbai respectively to broadbase the discussion and evolve a national consensus on this issue.
D.R.G. also appointed a Core Group to envision and begin drafting a new law as early as August 2009. Over two dozen or more meetings from then till now, the D.R.G. Core Group has not only unveiled a vision document (the Chapterization of the new Disability Act 2010) but has also drafted as many as 17 chapters.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Awareness that disabled persons are not handicapped, and can perform just as well as anyone else has to grow in society,” Mehul Choksi
- M.S.J.E. finally concedes to D.R.G.’s demand for a new law!
- Committee to draft New Disability Act: M.S.J.E. stumbles, yet again
- First meeting of Committee on New Disability Act on June 10
- Census 2011: Guidelines for Enumerators on the question on disability
- Incentive scheme for private sector falls flat, second year in a row!
- New Access Guidelines likely to be adopted as standards by B.I.S.
- I.L.O. to develop Global Business and Disability Network
- 30 disabled students clear U.P.S.C. exam
- Bombay High Court overrides Maharashtra rules, grants permission to blind student to write entrance exam
- All historical monuments in the country to be made disabled friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: