Volume 7 Issue 10 - May 15, 2010
First meeting of Committee on New Disability Act on June 10
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The newly formed Committee to draft a new law to replace the Disability Act of 1995 will have its first meeting on June 10. According to Dr. (Mrs.) Sudha Kaul, Chairperson of the Committee, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) has handed over all the recommendations received from the disability sector, as well as from State Governments and Central Ministries, to the Committee. The draft chapters of the new law as envisaged by Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) have also been given to them for consideration.
Dr. Kaul met D.R.G.’s Core Group in New Delhi on May 11 and had a long and fruitful discussion to get an insight into D.R.G.’s work so far.
Dr. Kaul stated that she wanted the entire drafting process to be as transparent and inclusive as possible. She however added that the Committee has its task cut out and it would be very difficult to meet the August 31 deadline given by M.S.J.E.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Awareness that disabled persons are not handicapped, and can perform just as well as anyone else has to grow in society,” Mehul Choksi
- M.S.J.E. finally concedes to D.R.G.’s demand for a new law!
- Committee to draft New Disability Act: M.S.J.E. stumbles, yet again
- First meeting of Committee on New Disability Act on June 10
- Census 2011: Guidelines for Enumerators on the question on disability
- Incentive scheme for private sector falls flat, second year in a row!
- New Access Guidelines likely to be adopted as standards by B.I.S.
- I.L.O. to develop Global Business and Disability Network
- 30 disabled students clear U.P.S.C. exam
- Bombay High Court overrides Maharashtra rules, grants permission to blind student to write entrance exam
- All historical monuments in the country to be made disabled friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: