Volume 7 Issue 10 - May 15, 2010
Incentive scheme for private sector falls flat, second year in a row!
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The ‘Scheme of Incentives to Employers in the Private Sector for providing Employment to Persons with Disabilities’ launched with much fanfare in 2008 has till now been able to benefit only 465 people. This scheme was touted to be able to create 100,000 jobs annually for people with disabilities!
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment also seems to be least bothered about tapping the private sector for jobs for people with disabilities. The High Level Monitoring Committee that is supposed to meet atleast once every 3 months, met only twice during the last financial year of 2009-10. The first meeting was on May 5 and the second on October 21.
As per the scheme, the government would reimburse the employers’ contribution to the provident fund for disabled employees earning up to Rs. 25,000 for the first three years. To get this benefit, the employer needs to inform the concerned Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (E.P.F.O.) or Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (E.S.I.C.).
A whopping Rs. 1800 crore was sanctioned for this scheme under the XIth Five Year Plan. The revised estimate for the year 2009-2010 was Rs. 3 crore, out of which Rs. 1 crore was released to E.S.I.C.
This information was unearthed due to a Right to Information (R.T.I.) application filed by N.C.P.E.D.P.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Awareness that disabled persons are not handicapped, and can perform just as well as anyone else has to grow in society,” Mehul Choksi
- M.S.J.E. finally concedes to D.R.G.’s demand for a new law!
- Committee to draft New Disability Act: M.S.J.E. stumbles, yet again
- First meeting of Committee on New Disability Act on June 10
- Census 2011: Guidelines for Enumerators on the question on disability
- Incentive scheme for private sector falls flat, second year in a row!
- New Access Guidelines likely to be adopted as standards by B.I.S.
- I.L.O. to develop Global Business and Disability Network
- 30 disabled students clear U.P.S.C. exam
- Bombay High Court overrides Maharashtra rules, grants permission to blind student to write entrance exam
- All historical monuments in the country to be made disabled friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: