Volume 7 Issue 10 - May 15, 2010
Bombay High Court overrides Maharashtra rules, grants permission to blind student to write entrance exam
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: If you are blind or visually impaired then there is no use in aspiring for a course in physiotherapy, atleast in Maharashtra! The rules forbid you from writing the entrance test. But, in a rather surprising exception, a seventeen year old blind student found the favour of the Bombay High Court and was recently granted permission to take the entrance test for the said course.
Krutika had filed a petition with the Bombay High Court after being refused permission to sit for the Common Entrance Test (C.E.T.). Justice J.N. Patel and A.P. Bhangale who heard her case made the novel exception despite the Director of Medical Education opposing the petition on the ground that rules do not permit physically and visually impaired persons to write the test.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form – Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- “Awareness that disabled persons are not handicapped, and can perform just as well as anyone else has to grow in society,” Mehul Choksi
- M.S.J.E. finally concedes to D.R.G.’s demand for a new law!
- Committee to draft New Disability Act: M.S.J.E. stumbles, yet again
- First meeting of Committee on New Disability Act on June 10
- Census 2011: Guidelines for Enumerators on the question on disability
- Incentive scheme for private sector falls flat, second year in a row!
- New Access Guidelines likely to be adopted as standards by B.I.S.
- I.L.O. to develop Global Business and Disability Network
- 30 disabled students clear U.P.S.C. exam
- Bombay High Court overrides Maharashtra rules, grants permission to blind student to write entrance exam
- All historical monuments in the country to be made disabled friendly
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: