Volume 9 Issue 11 - August 15, 2012
‘Blind’ people employed under N.R.E.G.A. found to be non-disabled, says studyD.N.I.S. News Network, India: A study conducted by All India Confederation of the Blind (A.I.C.B.) has revealed that majority of the ‘blind’ people who got employment under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (N.R.E.G.S.) are not actually blind! The study was conducted in Punjab, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Haryana and Chhattisgarh.
In Punjab, of the 602 ‘blind’ persons, the study found none of them to be visually impaired. Similarly, in Puttur block of Karnataka, 43 persons reported to be blind as per official information, were found to be fully sighted. The same story was found across all the States surveyed. The data was collected through Right to Information (R.T.I.) queries and interviews.
The study also looked at the disability specific Government run schemes in the States channelized through the National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation. Here too, ‘blind’ beneficiaries were found to be sighted.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- Mukul Wasnik gives away the 3rd NCPEDP-MphasiS Universal Design Awards
- National Centre for Universal Design to be made a reality in the next 3 months
- Nominations invited for 14th N.C.P.E.D.P.-Shell Helen Keller Awards
- Applications invited for the post of Chairperson, National Trust
- Committee drafting R.T.E. guidelines on disability has no disabled member!
- U.N. report seeks strengthening of C.C.P.D. office, private sector accountability
- H.R.D. Ministry forms Task Force on Disability
- ‘Blind’ people employed under N.R.E.G.A. found to be non-disabled, says study
- Odisha to reserve 3 percent contractual jobs for disabled people
- Disabled soldiers to get pension
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: