Volume 3 Issue 12 - June 15, 2005
South Korea moves towards Disability Discrimination Acts
DNIS News Network - In South Korea, the Democratic Labour Party and the Disability Discrimination Acts Solidarity in Korea (D.D.A.S.K.) announced a plan for seeking legislation on prohibition of discrimination against persons with disabilities (referred to as Disability Discrimination Acts).
The campaign was unveiled at a press conference held at the National Assembly, according to Disabled Peoples’ International Korea. D.D.A.S.K. is an umbrella association of disability rights groups formed on 16 April 2003.
The most contentious issue in the proposed legislation is the demand for the introduction of strong punitive action through a system independent of the existing legal system, and establishment of the Disability Discrimination Prohibition Committee (D.D.P.C.) under the direct responsibility of the President.
The D.D.A.S.K. had sent a draft proposal of the act to different political parties, but except for the Democratic Labour Party, all of them expressed unwillingness to proactively react to the proposal.
Meanwhile, the government and the Uri Party (ruling party) plan to propose their own version of D.D.A. that has been confidentially prepared by the Ministry of Health & Welfare.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- M.C.D moots draft for changes in building byelaws; no mention of access for persons with disability
- Zonal meet on proposed Integrated Education Scheme for Children, Youth with Disabilities
- Education Community Workshop by UNESCO for Universal Education
- Dystrophy-afflicted siblings tired of waiting; seek President’s permission to end their lives
- NTPC calls for projects for self-employment of persons with disabilities
- South Korea moves towards Disability Discrimination Acts
- Awareness about leprosy minimal in Delhi: Study
- Dwarf people face bulls and death in Mexico
- Pioneering news service on India’s disability sector holds annual review meeting
- Achievements of India’s disabled people on show in New York apparel expo
- Iodine deficiency leading cause of mental retardation: Study
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: