Volume 3 Issue 13 - July 01, 2005
Disability group in A.P. threatens legal recourse over withdrawal of disability allowance
DNIS News Network -Peeved over sudden withdrawal of the monthly allowance of a meagre Rs. 75 to unemployed disabled persons by the Andhra Pradesh Government, Network of the Persons with Disabilities Organisation has threatened to seek legal recourse.
In an order dated 25 April, the state government ordered discontinuation of support to over 14,000 unemployed disabled people registered with the employment exchange. The scheme was started with much fanfare in 1981 on international disabled day. Though grossly inadequate, the support was at least a token amount that was of great value in the absence of any other support.
According to M. Srinivasulu of Network of the Persons with Disabilities Organisation, in the 2005-06 budget only Rs. 58.47 lakh was allocated for the allowance, while the actual demand comes to Rs. 1.32 crore. It is ironic that instead of arranging additional resources the government has decided to withdraw the allowance itself.
In an appeal for support, Srinivasulu said that for basic livelihood there is need of at least Rs. 500/- per month.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- D.R.G. demands a Separate Ministry on Disability Issues
- Zonal Consultation to operationalise Comprehensive Plan of Action for Inclusive Education
- Inclusive Education is high on priority for U.G.C : Rajasekaran Pillai
- Society, American or Indian, must regard all citizens as potentially contributing citizens: Avraham
- D.R.G.’s demand for separate Ministry, a step in right direction: Justice Anand
- Mumbai H.C. wants Braille E.V.M.s at all polling booths; directs C.E.O. to publicise
- Public buildings flaunting disability regulations not to be certified: M.C.D.
- Ministry of Social Justice releases Draft National Policy for Persons with Disabilities
- India has 21.9 million disabled; Visual impairment highest of all disabilities
- Despite hike unemployed persons with disabilities in Punjab get less than non-disabled counterparts
- Disability group in A.P. threatens legal recourse over withdrawal of disability allowance
- Case filed against Indian Airlines for discrimination against disabled passengers
- National conference on disability organised in Delhi
- Learning forum for livelihoods promotion for disabled persons
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: