Volume 3 Issue 14 - July 15, 2005
New strands of polio virus found in India and Indonesia
DNIS News Network – Highlighting the need for continuing the worldwide campaign for polio eradication, reports of two new strands of polio virus surfacing in India and Indonesia have come in.
In India, the new strand of the virus has been found in the State of Uttar Pradesh that has been a traditional hotbed of the virus despite years of anti-polio drives.
Two cases of the P3 strain have been reported from Rampur and Shahjahanpur. The detection of P3 cases is significant, as India has just begun to fight polio with a monovalent vaccine, which attacks only the P1 virus. Doctors working for an international health organisation detected these cases. Till May this year, India had been using a trivalent vaccine, which attacks all the three strains of the polio virus. The new phase, kicked off on May 15, introduced the use of monovalent vaccine, which attacks only the P1 virus.
It was found that strain P2 had not been detected seen since 1999 while strain P3 was supposed to be on its way out. In fact, P1 was seen as doing all the damage.
In Indonesia, a new strand of polio virus has wreaked havoc since first reported in April. The toll now stands at 100, according to World Health Organisation (W.H.O.).
W.H.O. officials believe the outbreak can be traced to Nigeria, where vaccinations were suspended in 2003 after religious heads protested against the campaign. Indonesian officials say a pilgrim on Haj to Mecca, or a migrant worker, could have picked up the virus.
Polio is still endemic in six countries - Afghanistan, Egypt, India, Nigeria, Niger and Pakistan. The United Nations has been campaigning to eradicate the disease by the end of this year.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disability activist Javed Abidi nominated to Central Advisory Board of Education (C.A.B.E.)
- Ministry of Social Justice makes mockery of selection process of National Trust’s Chairperson
- Disabled invitees stranded at Social Justice Ministry’s event
- Petroleum Minister summons GAIL CMD on illegal terminations of four disabled employees
- National Policy for Persons with Disabilities to be announced soon: Meira Kumar
- Pioneering effort to reach disabled people in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- N.C.P.E.D.P. calls for changes in Draft Delhi Master Plan to make Capital disabled friendly
- New strands of polio virus found in India and Indonesia
- Disability sector meeting in Mumbai focusses on failure to implement The Disability Act
- National Urban Transport Policy to come up for Cabinet discussion
- EC fails to make Goa bye-poll disabled-friendly; Disability groups may file contempt
- D.U. fails again; Number of disabled applicants much below total quota seats
- Huge costs for parents of disabled children: U.K. Study
- South Zone Partners commit to strengthen National Disability Network
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: