Volume 3 Issue 14 - July 15, 2005
National Policy for Persons with Disabilities to be announced soon: Meira Kumar
DNIS News Network – The Union Government is in the “process” of bringing out a National Policy for Persons with Disabilities, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Meira Kumar announced in the Capital on 12 July 2005.
The draft of the Policy has been made available on the Ministry’s website for comments and suggestions till 15 July According to the Minister the draft Policy ('To read the policy click here')has already been circulated among the Ministries concerned, professional organisations and voluntary groups for comments. But the most important fact is that this definitely requires the involvement of the disability sector, and unfortunately, this announcement has not really been made public, except to be put up on the website, due to which even the bigger organisations working in this sector are not even aware of this announcement, let alone the deadline for the suggestions and comments. Moreover, this so called draft Policy is nothing but a watered-down version of The Disability Act 1995 and the draft requires a lot of modification if it has to serve any purpose at all.
Speaking at a function in Vigyan Bhavan to release a compilation of judgments on disabilities titled “Judgements on Disability Issues: Case Digest, 2005”, she claimed that the Government was also updating the list of identified posts for persons with disabilities and reviewing various provisions of The Disability Act, 1995 to amend the legislation.
“We are updating the list of identified posts so that the benefit of reservation may become available to persons with disabilities,” she said, and added that a Committee had been set up for the purpose, and Sub-committees for each type of disabilities were also set up. The recommendations are to be submitted within six weeks. She also admitted the need for amendments in The Disability Act 1995.
Kumar said the amendments would be brought about in a manner that the legislation became an instrument of social change. Also, the Central Public Works Department (C.P.W.D.) has developed “Guidelines and Space Standards for Barrier Free Built Environment for Disabled and Elderly Persons” ('To read the guidelines click here')and the Ministry has taken up with the State Governments and Union Territory Administrations the need for adoption of these standards in their Building Bye-laws for construction of public buildings. But it needs to be noted here that these CPWD guidelines were formulated many years ago but have not been put to use! The case in point is that the proposed Building By-laws of New Delhi did not even mention disability, and this fact had to be pointed out by organisations working in the disability sector.
A Tele-Training Module for Teachers on Inclusive Education developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment under the United Nations Development Programme funding and a module for Classroom Management of Children with Disabilities prepared by the National Trust for the Welfare of Persons with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities were also released.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disability activist Javed Abidi nominated to Central Advisory Board of Education (C.A.B.E.)
- Ministry of Social Justice makes mockery of selection process of National Trust’s Chairperson
- Disabled invitees stranded at Social Justice Ministry’s event
- Petroleum Minister summons GAIL CMD on illegal terminations of four disabled employees
- National Policy for Persons with Disabilities to be announced soon: Meira Kumar
- Pioneering effort to reach disabled people in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- N.C.P.E.D.P. calls for changes in Draft Delhi Master Plan to make Capital disabled friendly
- New strands of polio virus found in India and Indonesia
- Disability sector meeting in Mumbai focusses on failure to implement The Disability Act
- National Urban Transport Policy to come up for Cabinet discussion
- EC fails to make Goa bye-poll disabled-friendly; Disability groups may file contempt
- D.U. fails again; Number of disabled applicants much below total quota seats
- Huge costs for parents of disabled children: U.K. Study
- South Zone Partners commit to strengthen National Disability Network
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: