Volume 2 Issue 16 - August 15, 2004
Ministry told to refile dyslexia affidavit
DNIS News Network - The Delhi court has asked the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to file a "better affidavit" as it was not satisfied with Centre's stand on dyslexia.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment's earlier affidavit stated that dyslexia could be considered as a form of mental retardation, adding a proviso that "it is not necessary for all the cases of dyslexia to show arrested or incomplete development of mind".
On June 16, the Court directed Delhi University to provisionally process the admission applications of candidates with dyslexia on the basis that they are covered under the 1995 Disability Act. The notices were also issued in this regard to the Chief Commissioner of Persons with Disability and the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. The initial statement made by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment was in response to that directive.
The court directives followed a PIL filed by Disabled Rights Group (DRG) after a student with dyslexia was denied entry to Delhi University under the disability quota.
The petitioner argued that dyslexia was a learning disability, which is not same as mental disability. Agreeing with the petitioner, the court directed DU to refile its affidavit.
Disabled Rights Group urged that dyslexia be considered as a disability and that people with dyslexia be given the same benefits accorded to the disabled under the Disability Act.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Education Audit shows up lack of facilities for students with disabilities
- Ministry told to refile dyslexia affidavit
- NCPEDP celebrates Independence Day with the launch of its inclusive education campaign
- 72 days of dharna; Government yet to take action
- Physically disabled boy fights for the right to study
- CAG says government not meeting targets for employment
- DNIS - the way forward
- DPI meeting discusses strategy
- Government to notify welfare schemes for the disabled students by October
- Incentives policy meeting organised
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: