Volume 3 Issue 16 - August 15, 2005
G.A.I.L. C.M.D. threatens D.R.G. with criminal action
D.N.I.S. News Network - The struggle for justice for four disabled employees sacked by Gas Authority of India Limited (G.A.IL.) has taken a new twist with its Chairman and Managing Director (C.M.D.) Prashanto Banerjee resorting to pressure tactics by serving a legal notice to Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) for alleged defamation.
In this latest “arm-twisting” by the “mighty” G.A.I.L. administration, according to a D.R.G. release, a notice has been served in the wake of recent reports in the media, strongly criticising the lackadaisical attitude shown by the C.M.D. in staying away from a meeting called by the Petroleum Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar, to take a decision on the matter.
D.R.G. has condemned the manner in which G.A.I.L. is trying to “wriggle” out of the two year-old demand for justice by interpreting “legalities” to suit its adamant stand, and not address the issue despite the Minister taking a genuine interest in reinstating the four disabled employees.
Earlier, when D.R.G. Convenor Javed Abidi had gone on a fast-unto-death, G.A.I.L. had launched a media blitzkrieg to spread misinformation against the movement.
D.R.G. has asserted its stand that after several years of service at G.A.I.L., termination of the disabled employees, without assigning any reason, is a violation of their rights. Further, after getting salaries, and even increments, it is nothing but humiliating to have asked these employees to appear for a test.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- N.C.P.E.D.P Launches National Campaign for Barrier-Free India
- Confederation of Indian Industry to soon unveil its Disability Policy
- H.C. seeks report from D.U. on steps taken to make structures accessible
- Public Sector Bank employees with disability cannot be transferred: H.C.
- G.A.I.L. C.M.D. threatens D.R.G. with criminal action
- A.P. Court rejects bar set by M.C.I. for admission to M.B.B.S. under disability quota
- India ‘least inclusive’ among Asian nations: Disability survey
- Despite immunisation drives, Rajasthan and other States report fresh polio cases
- British media accuses Teresa’s nuns of tying up children with mental disabilities
- Visit by American disability activist highlights inefficacy in implementation of India’s disability
- Third Regional Consultative Meeting at Kolkata to forge roadmap for Inclusive Education
- North-East and East Zone Partners’ Meet held in Kolkata
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: