Volume 3 Issue 17 - September 01, 2005
Aishwarya to campaign for polio eradication programme in Pakistan
D.N.I.S. News Network - Lending star power to polio eradication programme in neighbouring Pakistan, former Miss World Aishwarya Rai will campaign there in September under an agreement between Islamabad and New Delhi to swap polio ambassadors of the two countries.
Pakistani pop star Jawad Ahmed will be in India doing the same. The two countries lead the world in the number of polio cases and are being targeted by World Health Organisation (W.H.O.).
Indian Health Minister Anbumani Ramadoss and his Pakistani counterpart Mohammed Nasir Khan agreed on the exchange at a W.H.O. meeting in Geneva in June.
"This is our latest CBM. Like we did with cricket, polio will be our next tool to melt borders between the two countries. We have to fight together against the virus that has disabled many children in India and Pakistan. Both the countries plan to eradicate the disease by December 2006," Nasir Khan was quoted as saying in Indian news daily.
“While 26 fresh cases of polio have been reported from India till 16 August this year, the number is 12 in Pakistan,” Khan added.
The U.N. Children's Fund, Unicef, says India and Pakistan are two of six polio-endemic countries in the world. Of the 784 cases reported in 2003, about 90 per cent were found in Nigeria, India and Pakistan.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Aloka Guha out of the race for the post of Chairperson, National Trust
- Delhi Chief Minister calls for launching freedom movement for barrier-free India
- Victim of systemic neglect, C.C.P.D. without a head for over a year now!
- Hundreds of people with visual impairment court arrest in Delhi over their demands
- Rajiv Gandhi Scholarship offers vital data to map educational status of disabled people
- People with visual impairment cannot be barred from appearing for Bank P.O. Exam: S.C.
- Another polio case reported from Uttar Pradesh, W.H.O. questions efficacy of immunisation drives
- Disabled people in Uttar Pradesh can now avail loans up to 20 lakh
- Orissa college agrees to extend age bar and 3% reservation for disabled students
- Five Andhra disability NGO’s implicated for abuse of funds
- Haryana earmarks Rs. 57 lakh to build ramps in 950 schools, plans resource centres at block-level
- Disability Law Unit’s team discovers shocking violation of disability rights in Kerala
- Freedom on wheels! Rajiv Gandhi Foundation distributes three-wheelers to disabled people
- Aishwarya to campaign for polio eradication programme in Pakistan
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: