Volume 2 Issue 18 - September 15, 2004
DNIS News Network - The Society for Child Development, a Delhi-based NGO, has published a book designed to benefit physically and mentally challenged children.
The book on inclusive education, Within Walls, Without Boundaries, focusses on the simple teaching techniques, such as chalk and talk, that can be used to assist children with special needs and makes the case for promoting education for disabled students.
Each chapter highlights a different technique and focusses on a specific type of disability. Besides this, the book dissects the laws that have been framed for the disabled people, such as the Disabilities Act 1995. In the opinion of the author, such laws are open to too much interpretation, making them inaccessible to the general public as there is a shortage of skilled lawyers to interpret these laws.
It is hoped that Within Walls, Without Boundaries will become an integral part of teacher training courses. If the proposed changes are implemented it will affect about 40 million children with physical and mental disabilities.
Ms Madhumita Puri, director of Society for Child Development, who has co-edited the book (along with George Abraham), said: "It is an attempt to create sustainable environment for handicapped children within the bounds of a conventional Indian class-room. And for this, teachers have to be trained. After all, they are the ones who are most in touch with the children."
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Shocking statistics unveiled regarding 'Education scenario vis-à-vis disabled people'
- Expanding horizons
- Only 20 disabled beneficiaries in Delhi in the last five years
- The missing link in reservations
- Campaign ahead of elections
- Employment audit conducted
- NHRC focuses on plight of mentally ill prisoners
- Indian Oil Corporation scholarship scheme announced
- Supporting ability
- Law students learn about disability
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: