Volume 3 Issue 18 - September 15, 2005
Kerala’s people with dwarfism demand benefits and reservation under Disability Act
D.N.I.S. News Network - Drawing inspiration from the success of their counterparts in Andhra Pradesh, people with dwarfism in Kerala have formed an association to demand inclusion in the category of “orthopaedically handicapped” thus allowing them to seek benefits under The Disability Act 1995.
In late August, about 100 people got together to form the Small Men Association to fight against discrimination. Balakrishnan Karassery, Vice President of the Association, told media that: “We would ask the State Government to list dwarf people as orthopaedically handicapped thereby entitling them to reservations in job; free bus rides and other facilities.”
Speaking about discrimination against people with dwarfism, Karassery said: “We are a neglected lot and are discriminated…we are treated like kids everywhere. We are big enough to say what we want. We are going to fight for our rights.”
In Andhra Pradesh, a protracted battle had yielded positive result with the High Court’s intervention and the State Government finally agreeing to the demand by people with dwarfism and notified them in the category of “orthopaedically handicapped”. The victory came after months of drafting letters, memorandums, pitched campaigns and a Public Interest Litigation. The decision is expected to benefit an estimated 50,000 dwarfs allowing them to claim reservations in government jobs, free travel passes in buses and trains and many other such benefits.
The Small Men Association has a similar uphill task ahead of them. However, they have a precedent, to support their case.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Appointment of Manoj Kumar as C.C.P.D, bolt from the blue for the disability sector
- Red-tape scuttles S.R.K. show in aid of N.C.P.E.D.P’s National Campaign for Barrier-Free India
- H. C. gives three weeks to Goa Govt. to work out timeframe for implementation of Disability Act
- Kerala’s people with dwarfism demand benefits and reservation under Disability Act
- Another victim of Hindu Marriage Act’s provision that allows divorce on grounds of leprosy
- Delhi H.C. orders disabled boy to be given admission and fee remission in a mainstream public school
- Indian Administrative Services probationers sensitised on disability issues
- Pioneering State Resource Centre for people with disabilities in Chennai
- Vietnam to introduce disabled-friendly mass public transport system
- Seven disabled-friendly foot-over bridges to come up in Delhi: N.D.M.C.
- Kanpur Teenager invents a device to allow drivers to ride two-wheelers by using only legs
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: