Volume 3 Issue 18 - September 15, 2005
Another victim of Hindu Marriage Act’s provision that allows divorce on grounds of leprosy
D.N.I.S. News Network – A 30-year-old woman has been served a legal notice for divorce on the plea that she suffers from leprosy. The incident has once again highlighted the discriminatory provision under the Hindu Marriage Act that allows divorce if a spouse suffers from the disease.
“A white spot which appeared from nowhere on my neck made him (her husband) suspicious,” Smidha was quoted as saying in news daily. “When doctors diagnosed it as leprosy, he started misbehaving with me and sought separation. Unfortunately there is a provision in Hindu Marriage Act, where he can ask for divorce,” she added.
According to the Hindu and Muslim Marriage Acts, leprosy can be a ground for divorce. This goes against the very logic of leprosy-eradication programmes being run by the government, which are spending large sum of money on ending the stigma and prejudice against leprosy patient.
Leprosy, which is completely curable, primarily affects skin, mucous membranes and the peripheral nerves. Even single dose of Multi Drug Therapy (M.D.T.) kills 99.9 per cent leprosy bacilli under laboratory conditions. There is no threat of disease transmission if the patient is taking treatment.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Appointment of Manoj Kumar as C.C.P.D, bolt from the blue for the disability sector
- Red-tape scuttles S.R.K. show in aid of N.C.P.E.D.P’s National Campaign for Barrier-Free India
- H. C. gives three weeks to Goa Govt. to work out timeframe for implementation of Disability Act
- Kerala’s people with dwarfism demand benefits and reservation under Disability Act
- Another victim of Hindu Marriage Act’s provision that allows divorce on grounds of leprosy
- Delhi H.C. orders disabled boy to be given admission and fee remission in a mainstream public school
- Indian Administrative Services probationers sensitised on disability issues
- Pioneering State Resource Centre for people with disabilities in Chennai
- Vietnam to introduce disabled-friendly mass public transport system
- Seven disabled-friendly foot-over bridges to come up in Delhi: N.D.M.C.
- Kanpur Teenager invents a device to allow drivers to ride two-wheelers by using only legs
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: