Volume 3 Issue 18 - September 15, 2005
Pioneering State Resource Centre for people with disabilities in Chennai
D.N.I.S. News Service – A first of its kind State Resource-Cum-Training Centre (S.R.T.C.) for people with disabilities has come up in Chennai and will provide vital information and facilities under one roof.
The Centre, which began functioning on the campus of Government Peripheral Hospital at K K Nagar from August 31, has been set up at a cost of Rs. 39.63 lakh by the Office of the Special Commissioner for Disabilities under the National Programme for Rehabilitation of Persons with Disabilities.
Various Non-Governmental Organisations (N.G.O.s) have been roped in to run the Centre. The Centre is expected to provide rehabilitation, referral services and training programmes for disabled people, research activities and manpower development, said a news report.
The Centre would also be involved in creating awareness on the training on employment opportunities available for disabled persons. A Tempo Traveler with the provision of ramp and railing fitted with the audiovisual equipment would be used to create awareness programmes. Apart from this, there would be a legal unit, a unit to display aid and appliances and outpatient services for persons with disabilities at the Centre.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Appointment of Manoj Kumar as C.C.P.D, bolt from the blue for the disability sector
- Red-tape scuttles S.R.K. show in aid of N.C.P.E.D.P’s National Campaign for Barrier-Free India
- H. C. gives three weeks to Goa Govt. to work out timeframe for implementation of Disability Act
- Kerala’s people with dwarfism demand benefits and reservation under Disability Act
- Another victim of Hindu Marriage Act’s provision that allows divorce on grounds of leprosy
- Delhi H.C. orders disabled boy to be given admission and fee remission in a mainstream public school
- Indian Administrative Services probationers sensitised on disability issues
- Pioneering State Resource Centre for people with disabilities in Chennai
- Vietnam to introduce disabled-friendly mass public transport system
- Seven disabled-friendly foot-over bridges to come up in Delhi: N.D.M.C.
- Kanpur Teenager invents a device to allow drivers to ride two-wheelers by using only legs
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: