Volume 3 Issue 19 - October 01, 2005
C.B.S.H.O.D. concludes with Islamabad Declaration to give a boost to disability rights movement
D.N.I.S. News Network – The recently concluded Regional Training Seminar on Capacity Building for Self-help Organisations of Persons with Disabilities (C.B.S.H.O.D.) held from 22 to 26 September in Pakistan, came out with the Islamabad Declaration to give a major boost to disability rights movement in Asia and Pacific countries.
The Seminar brought together participants from 21 Asia and Pacific countries, including 40 from Pakistan. Ashok Kumar Yadav, General Secretary Northern Railway Physically Handicapped Welfare Association, was nominated from Disabled Peoples' International – India to attend the Seminar. The Seminar was organised by Pakistan’s Ministry of Social Welfare and Special Education, Asia-Pacific Development Center on Disabilities (A.P.C.D.), Japan International Cooperation Agency (J.I.C.A.), Thai Government and World Bank.”
The Seminar was kick-started on a high note with Pakistani Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz lauding A.P.C.D. for selecting Islamabad as the venue. He outlined the salient features and vision of his country's National Policy for Persons with Disabilities, which was enacted in 2002, and stressed on the need for equal participation and access to opportunities for persons with disabilities. Pakistan's Minister of Social Welfare and Special Education Zobaida Jalal was also present on the occasion.
The Islamabad Declaration adopted by the participants at the conclusion of the Seminar stated:
All the Government of Asia and Pacific region are encouraged to support the U.N. Convention on Human Rights of Person with Disabilities, in this initiatives, representative of Self-help Organisations should be included in the participation process of the Convention.
Empower and develop national cross-disabilities Self-help organisations to collaborate with their respective Government for ensuring the implementation of national and international policy framework on disability.
Develop a mechanism with the representatives from Self-help organisations to advocate with the Government for inclusion of persons with disabilities at all levels of decision-making.
Ensure equal opportunities for women with disabilities through their participation in decision-making processes and the repeal of existing legislation that discriminates against them;
Ensure that accessibility, inclusive education, sign language, information technology and employment opportunities are promoted through the implementation of the existing legal framework or by the enactment of legislation in countries where these are not exist.
Enable the self-help organizations working in the rural areas to promote the livelihood and ensuring equal opportunities of the persons with disabilities.
We the participants of C.B.S.H.O.D. encourage A.P.C.D. to strengthen the regional collaboration of A.P.C.D. activities as endorsed by U.N.-ESCAP.
The Declaration ends by the participants saying that: “ We finally appeal all the governments of Asia and the Pacific, Self-help Organisations and development partners including World Bank to implement this declaration by formulating adequate plan of action.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- National Consultation on National Disability Policy brings out unrepresentative framing process
- C.B.S.H.O.D. concludes with Islamabad Declaration to give a boost to disability rights movement
- Delhi H.C. issues notices to Government of India, Ministries concerned on issue of access
- N.C.P.E.D.P. calls for nominations for Shell Helen Keller Awards
- M.H.R.D. releases revised Action Plan on Inclusive Education for Children & Youth with Disabilities
- Delhi H.C. asks D.U. College to grant admission to a disabled student
- Wheelchair using siblings denied entry to a Delhi cinema hall
- C.I.I. ties up with N.C.P.E.D.P. to enhance awareness on employment for persons with disabilities
- Punjab H.C. seeks details on undertrials in mental institutions
- Centre to extend financial assistance to organisations providing services to persons with diabilties
- India on its way to total eradication of polio: Global Polio Eradication Initiative
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: