Volume 3 Issue 2 - January 15, 2005
NHRC sets example with ramps
DNIS News Network - After advising others on the need to create facilities for the disabled at public places, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has finally shown it practises what it preaches.
The new office of the Commission on Copernicus Road (near India Gate) has ramps for the disabled. Sources said the renovation of the building -- Faridkote House -- originally belonging to the Punjab royalty, was delayed due to Chairman A.S. Anand’s insistence on laying the ramps for the disabled before shifting.
The ramps on the ground floor will help the disabled reach the offices of the chairperson and all members besides the facilitation counter — all designed on one floor to facilitate easy access.
The Commission’s lengthy advisories to governments on making provisions for movement of the disabled in public places had often earned it sarcastic remarks from the NGOs and activists. They had countered the directions, saying the NHRC must first turn to its cramped office at Patel Chowk which did not have even basic facilities for the disabled.
The shifting of the Commission’s office had, in fact, created problems for the public as its functioning has been affected for nearly a week. The files are now being shifted from the old premises. Sources said although the commission would resume its functioning for the public from Monday (January 10), normal functioning could begin only after January 15.
NHRC officials said all state government and central offices are being intimated about the change of address, which is off bus routes.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- End discrimination in Civil Services
- Haryana government makes provisions for its visually impaired voters
- Louise Braille remembered
- Special charter to protect rights of disabled women
- Campaign for disabled people's recruitment in public service: Survey
- NCW investigates disabled women's rights
- NHRC sets example with ramps
- Self Help Advocacy Group inaugurated
- Chennai group dances to music of silence
- Disabled people to get prostheses in February
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: