Volume 4 Issue 2 - January 15, 2006
Delhi Transport Minister approves pilot project for disabled-friendly bus terminal
D.N.I.S. News Network - In the continuing dream roll for disabled citizens in the National Capital, so far as announcement of disabled-friendly transport infrastructure is concerned, the Delhi Government has announced a pilot project for constructing an ultra modern and accessible bus terminal at Hauz Khas.
Delhi Transport Minister Haroon Yusuf approved the pilot project at a presentation recently by the Managing Director of Delhi Transport Corporation (D.T.C.), A. Majumdar, and immediately sanctioned the funds needed for the project.
The blueprint for the project that would suit the low-floor buses recently introduced has been prepared by Samarthya, Centre for Promotion of Barrier-Free Environment for Disabled People in association with Sabala ActionAid. The project has also seen involvement of Indian Institute of Technology Professors Dinesh Mohan and Geetam Tiwari, School of Planning and Architecture students Nitin and Sudipto, D.T.C. General Manager V.K. Bhatia and Manager (Civil) Ranga.
Among the disabled-friendly features that the Hauz Khas bus terminal would have is a sound system that would allow a blind person to hear a recorded voice beckoning people towards the location of the bus stop from as far as 30 feet. The path way will have guiding tiles implanted on the sidewalk for direction to blind commuters. It will also have ramps for easy access.
Further the buses will have speakers on board that would issue announcements stating the destination and route number of that particular bus. At present there are about 5,000 bus stands in Delhi of which only about 2,600 have bus shelters.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- Government of India to make access features mandatory for state & inter-state buses
- Delhi High Court admits petition on non-implementation of Disability Act
- Another path-breaking judgement by the Delhi High Court
- Delhi Transport Minister approves pilot project for disabled-friendly bus terminal
- H.C. issues notices to Centre and U.P.S.C. on discriminatory norms for disabled category candidates
- Training syllabus for I.A.S. officers to include crosscutting perspective on disability
- India’s visually impaired highlight Government’s apathy on World Braille Day
- S.C. awards compensation to an undertrial who spent over 50 years in a mental asylum
- Orthopaedically disabled Haryana State employees to receive higher special allowance
- Why are there no disabled-friendly cars on Indian roads? Asks National Human Rights Commission
- Tamil Nadu district representatives discuss on State-level Convention of Disabled People
- N.F.B. stages protest rally in the National Capital demanding to meet P.M.
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: