Volume 4 Issue 2 - January 15, 2006
Another path-breaking judgement by the Delhi High Court
D.N.I.S. News Network – In a landmark judgement, the Delhi High Court has ruled that a disabled candidate who scores marks equal to the cut-off limit for general candidates would not be listed in the quota reserved for disabled but alongside general candidate.
A two-judge bench gave this order while citing a Supreme Court judgement that stated that a Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe candidate who scored marks at par with the qualifying general candidate would be counted as a general candidate so as to allow the reserved seats being filled by other minority candidates.
The bench observed that though the ruling by the apex court is specific to S.C./S.T. candidates, yet the spirit behind the judgement is applicable to disabled people as well, as it is in tune with Article 46 of the Constitution that states that the State must protect the interest of weaker sections.
The Disability Act 1995 promises equal opportunities to disabled people and provides for three per cent reservations in Government services for them. But despite this the percentage of employment of disabled people is far short of the mandatory three per cent, and it was only recently that the top jobs in the Indian Civil Services were opened up after a pitched advocacy campaign by disability groups and a direct intervention by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Government of India to make access features mandatory for state & inter-state buses
- Delhi High Court admits petition on non-implementation of Disability Act
- Another path-breaking judgement by the Delhi High Court
- Delhi Transport Minister approves pilot project for disabled-friendly bus terminal
- H.C. issues notices to Centre and U.P.S.C. on discriminatory norms for disabled category candidates
- Training syllabus for I.A.S. officers to include crosscutting perspective on disability
- India’s visually impaired highlight Government’s apathy on World Braille Day
- S.C. awards compensation to an undertrial who spent over 50 years in a mental asylum
- Orthopaedically disabled Haryana State employees to receive higher special allowance
- Why are there no disabled-friendly cars on Indian roads? Asks National Human Rights Commission
- Tamil Nadu district representatives discuss on State-level Convention of Disabled People
- N.F.B. stages protest rally in the National Capital demanding to meet P.M.
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: