Volume 4 Issue 2 - January 15, 2006
S.C. awards compensation to an undertrial who spent over 50 years in a mental asylum
D.N.I.S. News Network - The Supreme Court has awarded a compensation of Rs. three lakhs to a 77-year-old man who spent 54-years of his life as an undertrial in a mental asylum and also ordered a high-level inquiry into the incident.
Machal Lalung was arrested at the age of 23 in 1951 under Section 326 of the Indian Penal Code for voluntarily causing grievous injuries. But he ended up spending next 54 years languishing in Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi Mental Hospital, Tezpur before being released this year. Ironically, his case never came up for hearing in the last five decades even once.
Moved by his story, the apex court had sought from the Assam Government the factual position of the case. Perusing the materials placed before it, a Bench of Chief Justice Y. K. Sabharwal, Justice C. K. Thakker and Justice R. V. Raveendran directed state government to constitute a panel to file a preliminary report on the incident within two months.
The court said the inquiry would be conducted by a judicial officer nominated by the Chief Justice of the Guwahati High Court and a Secretary level officer named by the state government. The Bench said it would formulate guidelines after receiving the report so that no citizen will have to suffer the plight undergone by 77-year old Lalung.
The apex court also directed the Assam Government to give him Rs 1,000 per month to Lalung to meet his expenses, and free treatment and medicines throughout his life in Government hospitals.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Government of India to make access features mandatory for state & inter-state buses
- Delhi High Court admits petition on non-implementation of Disability Act
- Another path-breaking judgement by the Delhi High Court
- Delhi Transport Minister approves pilot project for disabled-friendly bus terminal
- H.C. issues notices to Centre and U.P.S.C. on discriminatory norms for disabled category candidates
- Training syllabus for I.A.S. officers to include crosscutting perspective on disability
- India’s visually impaired highlight Government’s apathy on World Braille Day
- S.C. awards compensation to an undertrial who spent over 50 years in a mental asylum
- Orthopaedically disabled Haryana State employees to receive higher special allowance
- Why are there no disabled-friendly cars on Indian roads? Asks National Human Rights Commission
- Tamil Nadu district representatives discuss on State-level Convention of Disabled People
- N.F.B. stages protest rally in the National Capital demanding to meet P.M.
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: