Volume 7 Issue 2 - January 15, 2010
Brinda Karat voices out disability sector’s plight in Rajya Sabha
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: In a speech in the Rajya Sabha, C.P.I. (M.) member, Brinda Karat highlighted the problems of disabled people and the injustice that they have been facing for so long.
Drawing on the fact that it has been 14 years since the Persons with Disabilities Act was passed, she said, “Disabled persons continue to remain on the fringes of social and political life. Multiplicity of laws and agencies have failed in ameliorating the conditions of this section, and persons with disabilities continue to be viewed as 'objects' in need of medical treatment, rather than 'holders' of rights.”
Issuing of a universally accepted identity card, creation of barrier free environment, inclusion of disabled in Right to Education Act, filling backlog of vacancies, involving people with disabilities in issues concerning them, etc. will ensure their empowerment as equal citizens, she added.
Karat also told the House that Indian laws should be brought in harmony with the directives of U.N.C.R.P.D. and that there must be provision for punitive action against violators.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form – Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- "D.P.O.s will have to play a central role in lobby and advocacy work for implementation of U.N.C.R.P.D.," Peter Rothe Schultz
- Proposed amendments to Disability Act upsets N.G.O.s
- Private sector backs draft Policy on Electronic Accessibility
- Additional Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development positive on revised access guidelines of N.B.C.
- Unleashing the Power of Assistive Technology at Techshare India 2010
- M.S.J.E. leads by example. Launches central ministry’s first accessible website
- Website on Indian Sign Language launched
- Union Government announces awards for websites having best accessibility features
- Aamir Khan supports Inclusive Education
- Brinda Karat voices out disability sector’s plight in Rajya Sabha
- Series of deaths at Asha Kiran
- 18 individuals to be conferred ‘I.B.N.7 and Bajaj Allianz Super Idols’ award
- Rights group from Manipur demands disability sector’s long pending dues
- Special recruitment drive to fill up backlog
- Web portal on disability writing
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: