Volume 8 Issue 2 - January 15, 2011
Protest in Chennai over new law on disability rights
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) organised a candlelight vigil in Chennai on January 1 to protest against the time being taken by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (M.S.J.E.) to come out with a new and comprehensive Disability Rights Law.
“Our voice has been repeatedly overshadowed by bureaucratic processes,” said D.R.G. Convener Javed Abidi. He explained that there are four laws which affect the lives of disabled people – Disability Act 1995, National Trust Act 1999, Mental Health Act 1987 and Rehabilitation Council of India Act 1992. The time has come to look at them closely and draft a strong, rights based, comprehensive law containing all the rights of all the disabled people.
“After repeated protests and demonstrations, the government finally acceded to draft a new law. A Committee was set up on April 30. They were given four months and should have submitted their report by end August. After two extensions, the deadline fixed was December 31, but still nothing has happened,” he explained.
Earlier, D.R.G. also demonstrated in New Delhi on December 31 outside M.S.J.E. Minister, Mukul Wasnik’s residence.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “The law drafters have made it clear that they are on the side of care givers’ interests,” Bhargavi Davar
- With blinkers on, a diminished Committee on new disability law goes on
- Protest in Chennai over new law on disability rights
- North Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- South Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- Commonwealth meet on disability
- S.C. warns states of contempt action on Disabilities Act
- Another case of discrimination surfaces in the Civil Services
- Provide modern technology for visually impaired employees: Bombay H.C.
- Web portal launched with jobs exclusively for disabled people
- 1971 war-disabled run Mumbai marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: