Volume 8 Issue 2 - January 15, 2011
North Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’D.N.I.S. News Network, India: To ensure that disabled persons are accurately enumerated in the Census of 2011 and to take its vision of a cross disability movement forward, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) along with Action for Ability Development and Inclusion (A.A.D.I.) organized a day-long consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability – Finding the Missing Millions’ in New Delhi on January 15.
The Census of 2011 will draw a bigger picture for the disability sector in India. There are 27 lakh enumerators and supervisors, 54,000 master trainers, 725 master trainer facilitators and 90 national trainers all over the country, for the Census exercise. The North Zone consultation dwelled on: Census questionnaire, the question on disability, awareness within the disability sector and amongst disabled people and families, training and sensitization of enumerators, advocacy with the Central and State Governments, Media, P.S.U.s and all others.
The ‘Question on Disability’ has been moved to number 9 from number 15 (Census 2001), ahead of the question on mother tongue. Javed Abidi, Honorary Director of N.C.P.E.D.P. and Disabled Rights Group (D.R.G.) Convenor, said, “Census of 2011 is going to be a turning point for the disability sector in India. It is the first time ever since Independence that all types of disabilities will be covered comprehensively.”
However, unlike the Census of 2001, when only five disabilities were enumerated, Census 2011 will distinguish between mental retardation and mental illness. It will record separate statistics on these two most neglected disabilities. Also, the ‘Question on Disability’ will have the option of ‘any other disability’ and ‘multiple disabilities’ for the first time. This is essential because last time, in Census 2001, several disabilities were left out since there was no slot for them in the manner the disability question was framed and asked by enumerators.
Members of various N.G.O.s and participants from North Zone made an appeal that disabled people and their families should come forward and get enumerated. They agreed to create teams and help in sensitizing the local people as to why it is so important for disabled people to get themselves counted. They also suggested that the local media is an accessible medium and can be roped in to spread awareness regarding ‘Question on Disability’.
There were over 150 participants from different organizations, D.P.O.s, federations from across North India at the consultation. The meeting had representatives from Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “The law drafters have made it clear that they are on the side of care givers’ interests,” Bhargavi Davar
- With blinkers on, a diminished Committee on new disability law goes on
- Protest in Chennai over new law on disability rights
- North Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- South Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- Commonwealth meet on disability
- S.C. warns states of contempt action on Disabilities Act
- Another case of discrimination surfaces in the Civil Services
- Provide modern technology for visually impaired employees: Bombay H.C.
- Web portal launched with jobs exclusively for disabled people
- 1971 war-disabled run Mumbai marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: