Volume 8 Issue 2 - January 15, 2011
S.C. warns states of contempt action on Disabilities ActD.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Supreme Court has warned of contempt proceedings against states which fail to provide sufficient access facilities for disabled persons as mandated under the Disability Act of 1995.
The apex court said, “We make it clear that if the states do not enforce the National Building Code of India as well as the guidelines issued by the Central Public Works Department (C.P.W.D.), we would be taking contempt proceedings, for which the petitioner(s) could move before this court”.
A three-judge bench of Chief Justice S. H. Kapadia, Justices K. S. Radhakrishnan and Swatanter Kumar gave the warning after senior counsel Colin Gonzalves for petitioner Rajiv Raturi in a P.I.L. complained that though several guidelines have been framed under the Act for the benefit of physically disabled persons, neither the Centre nor the states showed interest in implementing the same.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “The law drafters have made it clear that they are on the side of care givers’ interests,” Bhargavi Davar
- With blinkers on, a diminished Committee on new disability law goes on
- Protest in Chennai over new law on disability rights
- North Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- South Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- Commonwealth meet on disability
- S.C. warns states of contempt action on Disabilities Act
- Another case of discrimination surfaces in the Civil Services
- Provide modern technology for visually impaired employees: Bombay H.C.
- Web portal launched with jobs exclusively for disabled people
- 1971 war-disabled run Mumbai marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: