Volume 8 Issue 2 - January 15, 2011
Web portal launched with jobs exclusively for disabled peopleD.N.I.S. News Network, India: A website ‘I.T. for Persons with Disabilities’ (www.itforpwd.com) was launched with links to jobs exclusively for disabled people during a national conference on ‘I.T. for People with Disability’ in Bangalore. Karnataka chief minister B. S. Yeddyurappa, who inaugurated the conference, urged software companies to make way and provide opportunities for disabled persons. The C.M. pointed out, “While people with disabilities have 3% employment reservation in the government, it is not so in the private sector”.
The Information Technology (I.T.) sector is by far the largest employer in Karnataka. According to reports, Karnataka has 9 lakh disabled persons, of which 52% are literate. Many of them can easily be employed in the I.T./B.P.O. sector.
I.T. Secretary Ashok Kumar C. Manoli said: “Though the exact percentage of disabled persons employed in the I.T. sector is not known, it is found to be low when compared to public sector units.” M. K. Sridhar, Member-Secretary and Executive Director, Karnataka Jnana Aayoga, said I.T. companies must move from charity-based approach to a rights-based vision.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- “The law drafters have made it clear that they are on the side of care givers’ interests,” Bhargavi Davar
- With blinkers on, a diminished Committee on new disability law goes on
- Protest in Chennai over new law on disability rights
- North Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- South Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- Commonwealth meet on disability
- S.C. warns states of contempt action on Disabilities Act
- Another case of discrimination surfaces in the Civil Services
- Provide modern technology for visually impaired employees: Bombay H.C.
- Web portal launched with jobs exclusively for disabled people
- 1971 war-disabled run Mumbai marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: