Volume 9 Issue 2 - April 01, 2012
Ex-Army Officer the first Indian with disability to be appointed at U.N.I.C.E.F.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Former Indian Army Officer, Major Gopal Mitra, has become the first Indian with a disability to be appointed at the headquarters of a United Nations agency. Mitra has recently joined the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (U.N.I.C.E.F.) headquarters in New York as programme specialist. His role will be to provide technical support to enhance the inclusion of children with disabilities in policies and programmes at global, regional and national levels.
Mitra has previously worked with Leonard Cheshire Disability (L.C.D.) as the Inclusive Education Manager for South Asia. In 2008 he was posted as the International Campaigns Coordinator at the L.C.D. headquarters in London, where he was in charge of the Young Voices project which brings together young persons with disabilities from 18 countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America.
After losing his vision in an insurgency operation in Jammu and Kashmir in 2000, Mitra went on to do a Masters in Social Work from Tata Institute of Social Sciences and followed that with another Masters in Development Management from the London School of Economics.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Incapacity laws: A preliminary analysis shows how laws discriminate against various kinds of disabilities and not just people of ‘unsound mind’!
- “We have to address the ignorance, lack of knowledge and true understanding of diversity that is common within our own disability sector,” Merry Barua
- Union Budget leaves the disability sector feeling cold
- Ministry of Civil Aviation constitutes Committee to review C.A.R.
- India and Philippines share experiences on C.R.P.D. Parallel Reporting
- Ex-Army Officer the first Indian with disability to be appointed at U.N.I.C.E.F.
- Database on Government projects that include persons with disabilities created
- Draft resolution on Article 29 of C.R.P.D. tabled by Mexico and New Zealand
- Legal capacity denied to persons with cerebral palsy
- Disability Rights Alliance asks for disabled-friendly metro in Chennai
- Unknown disease causing disability amongst children in Kashmir
- Pimpri Chinchwad B.R.T.S. to be accessible, but not entirely
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: