Volume 9 Issue 2 - April 01, 2012
Draft resolution on Article 29 of C.R.P.D. tabled by Mexico and New Zealand
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: At the 19th Session of the Human Rights Council in February 2012, Mexico and New Zealand tabled a draft resolution on ‘Participation in Political and Public Life by Persons with Disabilities’ on Article 29 of United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (C.R.P.D.). It is expected that this resolution will be adopted soon.
The resolution recalls that according to C.R.P.D., exclusion and restriction of political rights on the basis of disability constitutes discrimination, and calls for a series of measures to ensure that people with disabilities enjoy the right to participate in political and public life, including recognising legal capacity on an equal basis with others and providing the support that persons with disabilities may require to exercise it.
The resolution expresses deep concern that people with disabilities around the world continue to be denied these rights and calls on States Parties to the C.R.P.D. to ensure that persons with disabilities can effectively and fully participate in political and public life on an equal basis with others, including the right and opportunity for persons with disabilities to vote and be elected, and to participate in the conduct of public affairs.
It calls upon States Parties to consult closely with and actively involve persons with disabilities in adopting and implementing relevant measures. It encourages all stakeholders to keep in mind universal design and calls for international cooperation to support national efforts to enhance enjoyment of political rights by persons with disabilities on an equal basis with others, such as by facilitating the use of assistive and new technologies relevant to participation in political and public life.
The resolution recognises the interdependence of Article 29 with other Articles of C.R.P.D. and emphasises that States must “recognise legal capacity and the right to participation in the community on an equal basis with others.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Draft Mental Health Care Bill
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
New Disability Law
- Incapacity laws: A preliminary analysis shows how laws discriminate against various kinds of disabilities and not just people of ‘unsound mind’!
- “We have to address the ignorance, lack of knowledge and true understanding of diversity that is common within our own disability sector,” Merry Barua
- Union Budget leaves the disability sector feeling cold
- Ministry of Civil Aviation constitutes Committee to review C.A.R.
- India and Philippines share experiences on C.R.P.D. Parallel Reporting
- Ex-Army Officer the first Indian with disability to be appointed at U.N.I.C.E.F.
- Database on Government projects that include persons with disabilities created
- Draft resolution on Article 29 of C.R.P.D. tabled by Mexico and New Zealand
- Legal capacity denied to persons with cerebral palsy
- Disability Rights Alliance asks for disabled-friendly metro in Chennai
- Unknown disease causing disability amongst children in Kashmir
- Pimpri Chinchwad B.R.T.S. to be accessible, but not entirely
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: