Volume 9 Issue 2 - April 01, 2012
Disability Rights Alliance asks for disabled-friendly metro in Chennai
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Disability Rights Alliance (D.R.A.), Tamil Nadu, has been in consultation with Chennai Metro Rail Limited (C.M.R.L.) since January 2012 to ensure that a barrier-free environment is kept in consideration in the planning stage itself of the metro rail. “These are not facilities that can be provided in retrospect. You have to take them into consideration well in advance,” said Rajiv Rajan, member of D.R.A.
D.R.A. has shared the details of international best practices with C.M.R.L. in a series of meetings since January. In the last meeting, the members presented inputs on the shortcomings of Delhi Metro to K. Rajaraman, Managing Director, C.M.R.L. The data presented to C.M.R.L. in the past three months include guidelines on making official websites accessible to persons with visual and reading disabilities, guidelines on making metro stations barrier-free and a legal perspective to accessibility in public spaces.
C.M.R.L. has said that it is committed to making stations barrier-free and is going by the international standards. Certain recommendations by D.R.A. are not covered by international standards and C.M.R.L. would have to spend time studying them to see how feasible they are, said Rajaraman.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Incapacity laws: A preliminary analysis shows how laws discriminate against various kinds of disabilities and not just people of ‘unsound mind’!
- “We have to address the ignorance, lack of knowledge and true understanding of diversity that is common within our own disability sector,” Merry Barua
- Union Budget leaves the disability sector feeling cold
- Ministry of Civil Aviation constitutes Committee to review C.A.R.
- India and Philippines share experiences on C.R.P.D. Parallel Reporting
- Ex-Army Officer the first Indian with disability to be appointed at U.N.I.C.E.F.
- Database on Government projects that include persons with disabilities created
- Draft resolution on Article 29 of C.R.P.D. tabled by Mexico and New Zealand
- Legal capacity denied to persons with cerebral palsy
- Disability Rights Alliance asks for disabled-friendly metro in Chennai
- Unknown disease causing disability amongst children in Kashmir
- Pimpri Chinchwad B.R.T.S. to be accessible, but not entirely
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: