Volume 9 Issue 2 - April 01, 2012
Unknown disease causing disability amongst children in Kashmir
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The outbreak of a mysterious disease in a village about 32 kilometres from Tumina in Kashmir has resulted in multiple disabilities in children. The children hit by this disease, it seems, are unable to speak and their nervous system, liver, eyes and brain have been affected. At least eight children have become disabled due to this disease in the month of March alone.
Residents of the village have been doing the rounds of Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (S.K.I.M.S.) and other medical institutions, but to no avail. S.K.I.M.S. expressed its inability to treat the children, saying that there are no facilities in the hospital for these tests.
After repeated reminders and representations from residents of the village, a team of doctors from the Integrated Disease Surveillance Project (I.D.S.P.), Kupwara, visited the village and took water samples from the bore wells and blood samples of the affected children and their parents. However, nothing has resulted from this visit, said the residents.
The Sarpanch of Tumina village has now appealed to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad to intervene.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Incapacity laws: A preliminary analysis shows how laws discriminate against various kinds of disabilities and not just people of ‘unsound mind’!
- “We have to address the ignorance, lack of knowledge and true understanding of diversity that is common within our own disability sector,” Merry Barua
- Union Budget leaves the disability sector feeling cold
- Ministry of Civil Aviation constitutes Committee to review C.A.R.
- India and Philippines share experiences on C.R.P.D. Parallel Reporting
- Ex-Army Officer the first Indian with disability to be appointed at U.N.I.C.E.F.
- Database on Government projects that include persons with disabilities created
- Draft resolution on Article 29 of C.R.P.D. tabled by Mexico and New Zealand
- Legal capacity denied to persons with cerebral palsy
- Disability Rights Alliance asks for disabled-friendly metro in Chennai
- Unknown disease causing disability amongst children in Kashmir
- Pimpri Chinchwad B.R.T.S. to be accessible, but not entirely
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: