Volume 2 Issue 20 - October 15, 2004
Disabled woman discriminated against by Gulf Air
DNIS News Network -Humiliated by insensitive airline staff, a disabled woman is fighting for justice.
Dr Shruti Mohapatra, who is a wheelchair user, was humiliated and discriminated against by the employees of Gulf Air on her way to Winnipeg. The incident occurred in Muscat where Dr Mohapatra had to take a connecting flight to London as she was flying in two laps.
Recalling the harrowing experience, Dr Mohapatra alleged that she was deplaned from a Gulf Air flight on her way to London on the grounds that she lacked a medical certificate stating that she was fit to fly. Having just flown from Delhi to Muscat on the same airline without any problem, the request for a medical certificate took her by surprise.
Dr Mohapatra, who was to attend a disability summit, also said that even the captain of the flight joined in humiliating her and refused to fly unless she showed a certificate. To add to her agony, the crew members flatly refused to agree with the airport doctor certification that she was absolutely fit to fly. When Dr Mohapatra protested, the police were called and she was deplaned in a humiliating manner.
Angered by the blatant discrimination by airline staff, she has complained to the Union Civil Aviation Minister, Praful Patel. The minister, however, has so far failed to respond.
Javed Abidi, Executive Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) and a noted disability rights activist, has taken up Dr Mohapatra's cause. He said: "Such behaviour is not expected from any airline officials who are in the customer services industry."
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Historic by-elections held in India
- Disabled woman discriminated against by Gulf Air
- CBSE schools most insensitive to disabled students' needs
- Government to initiate new policy for mentally ill
- Disabled adventurer scales new heights
- Christopher Reeve: Crusader for disabled passes away
- Exhibiting possibilities despite limitations
- World Mental Health Day draws attention to mental illness
- World Sight Day 2004 raises awareness
- Tendulkar shoots for ramps
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: