Volume 2 Issue 20 - October 15, 2004
World Mental Health Day draws attention to mental illness
DNIS News Network - Various functions were organised to mark World Mental Health Day.
Various functions were held in the national capital on the occasion of World Mental Health Day. In one function, Union health minister Mr Anbumani Ramadoss addressed a gathering that included many of the country's leading psychiatrists.
The minister underlined the poor state of infrastructure available to deal with mental illness. Stressing the urgent need to create awareness and build infrastructure to provide basic health care to mentally ill, Ramadoss admitted that India has a huge shortage of qualified medical help. Not only are there many fewer psychiatrists in the country than are needed - only 3,600 - but qualified practitioners are increasingly being poached by countries such as Britain, which offer better research facilities and working environments, he added.
Ramadoss also launched a book on mental health written by the Director General of Health Services, Dr SP Agarwal. The book traces the mental healthcare scene in the country since Independence and includes accounts by leading doctors of the country.
In another function organised by the National Legal Services Authority, the mentally challenged residents of Sudinalay Rehabilitation Shelter met with Chief Justice of India RC Lahoti to discuss the plight of mentally challenged women and children in New Delhi.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Historic by-elections held in India
- Disabled woman discriminated against by Gulf Air
- CBSE schools most insensitive to disabled students' needs
- Government to initiate new policy for mentally ill
- Disabled adventurer scales new heights
- Christopher Reeve: Crusader for disabled passes away
- Exhibiting possibilities despite limitations
- World Mental Health Day draws attention to mental illness
- World Sight Day 2004 raises awareness
- Tendulkar shoots for ramps
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: