Volume 3 Issue 20 - October 15, 2005
Ektha core group meet held in Chennai
D.N.I.S. News Network - EKTHA, a forum of People with Neurological Impairment for People with Neurological Impairment, has completed Consortium of Persons with Cerebral Palsy, Autism, Mental Retardation and Multiple Disabilities in all the four zones of India and selected members for the core group. The Core Group Meet was held from 20 - 22 September 2005. Ektha will register itself as a society shortly. The Core Group Meet started with an inaugural function on 19 September 2005.
On the first day of the Meet facilitated by Usha Ramakrishnan, Vice Chairperson, Vidya Sagar, Poonam Natarajan gave a detailed presentation on the pParadigm sShift in the Disability Movement. Usha Ramakrishnan gave a lecture on Mind Mapping also explaining to the group the way to use mind mapping in their day-to-day activities.
Suresh Babu, Advocate, traced the history of the Disability Movement and the various conventions and declarations of the United Nations. He also analysed the various laws related to disability in India, stating that the Mental Health Act is incomplete and that it is an important area to be worked upon. The Core Group members then discussed the Memorandum of Association of EKTHA.
The second day of the meet started with a S.W.O.T. analysis of EKTHA. The analysis threw light upon strengths and weaknesses of the forum as well as the opportunities and threats.
The group worked on the Mission and Vision of EKTHA and arrived at the Mission statement:
“EKTHA Work towards enhancing the quality of life of Adults with Neurological Impairment through a Rights Based Approach. Focuses on People with Neurological Impairment for the first few years and move towards Cross Disability.”
The team identified three core targets towards which EKTHA will work for the next one year and roles were assigned to members to achieve the identified targets within the said period.
The third and final day focused on prioritising work, revision of activities planned the day before, worked on the roles of each member, and a brainstorming session on networking within the group. The group also identified the Zonal Coordinators.
A comprehensive action plan was drawn up for the year 2005-06. The meeting was followed by a Press Meet the same day.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
- Concept Note (76 KB)
- Nomination Form - Corporates / Organisations (78 KB)
- Nomination Form – Individual (80 KB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (11.4 MB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awards 2012
New Disability Law
- The 10th year of the Disability Act- It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year
- D.P.I. India, N.D.N. to send fact-finding team to look at quake relief in Kashmir
- The Disaster Management Bill 2005 leaves 70 million disabled people endangered
- Pioneering study on water and sanitation for disabled people
- Convergence India: Making disability part of every development initiative
- Ektha core group meet held in Chennai
- P.I.L. filed in Guwahati H.C. seeking a direction to Tripura Government to implement Disability Act
- Now a DU College for training visually impaired teachers
- U.P. Government asks all its departments hold recruitment examination on ground floor
- Government announces major initiative for N.G.O.s on World Sight Day
- Forging Inclusion on playgrounds, not just classroom
- National Programme for prevention of speech and hearing impairment on anvil: Health Minister
- Sensitising tomorrow’s media persons to issue of Access for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: