Volume 3 Issue 20 - October 15, 2005
National Programme for prevention of speech and hearing impairment on anvil: Health Minister
D.N.I.S. News Network – A task force will soon be constituted by the Union Government to initiate a countrywide programme for prevention of speech and hearing disabilities, similar to the one for preventing blindness, according to Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Anbumani Ramdoss.
While inaugurating a new administrative building of the All-India Institute of Speech and Hearing (AIISH) in Mysore, Dr. Ramdoss said the programme will be launched in 34 centres initially — one each in 25 States and nine Union Territories. The objective is to provide services pertaining to prevention, early identification, and intervention, and the AIISH will be the nodal agency, he added.
The thrust of the new programme would be on early detection of speech and hearing disability among children. The Government is expected to approve the programme, he added.
A pilot programme will be launched by the AIISH in Mysore and Mandya districts in Karnataka, Vellore and Villupuram districts in Tamil Nadu, and Malappuram in Kerala, the Minister was quoted as saying to an English news daily.
He said 10 per cent to 13 per cent of schoolchildren in the country have speech defects, including difficulty in articulation, stuttering, middle-ear disorders, which lead to learning disability. Dr. Ramdoss quoted from data collected by the National Sample Survey Organisation and said that among every one lakh people in the country, there are 291 persons with hearing loss and 207 persons with speech defects.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- The 10th year of the Disability Act- It’s time for ACT10N is disability sector's theme for this year
- D.P.I. India, N.D.N. to send fact-finding team to look at quake relief in Kashmir
- The Disaster Management Bill 2005 leaves 70 million disabled people endangered
- Pioneering study on water and sanitation for disabled people
- Convergence India: Making disability part of every development initiative
- Ektha core group meet held in Chennai
- P.I.L. filed in Guwahati H.C. seeking a direction to Tripura Government to implement Disability Act
- Now a DU College for training visually impaired teachers
- U.P. Government asks all its departments hold recruitment examination on ground floor
- Government announces major initiative for N.G.O.s on World Sight Day
- Forging Inclusion on playgrounds, not just classroom
- National Programme for prevention of speech and hearing impairment on anvil: Health Minister
- Sensitising tomorrow’s media persons to issue of Access for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: